Wednesday 9 March 2016

WEARABLE ARTS



WEARABLE ARTS: This is a realm where theatre, fashion and art collide.  Where innovation and invention are vital.  Where freedom of expression reigns.

I started off having little idea about what it entailed.  I couldn’t even sew, for goodness sake!  But – my friends said "yes, you must do it" and my creative spirit said “yes, you can do it” and now, in my seventh year of being a Wearable Artist, everything about it is ingrained within my blood.  It didn’t take long for me to become a confirmed enthusiast.  I still don’t sew – there are other ways to work with fabric, believe me.  Actually, you don’t often work with fabric – the more unusual the materials and components, the better. 

Let me warn you now, once you start creating Wearable Art, it quickly becomes an obsession.  Dreaming up quirky ideas, sourcing unusual materials, developing prototypes, overcoming technical challenges, working all hours, fine-tuning at all times, in your mind and with your hands ... and slowly, beautifully, the vision comes to life.  Your creation adorns the body as a blank canvas and, voilà, this special art form lives and breathes and takes on its own persona.

The Brancott Estate World of Wearable Arts Awards Show (WOW), held in Wellington each year, is the acclaimed showcase for wearable arts, attracting entries from all around the world.  WOW began in Nelson in 1987, founded by Dame Suzie Moncrieff, who still fronts the event.  Amazing designs are brought to life in a spectacular stage performance.  If you have seen the show, you know how truly amazing it is.  If you haven’t been – go!  Soon!  (Think Cirque du Soleil and times it by a million).

There is rarely a moment when my mind is not thinking through some aspect of wearable arts.  I have had six garments in four WOW shows over recent years, received a commendation for one, and three have been exhibited in the Nelson WOW Museum.  I took a break last year as I was away when the show was on – I couldn’t bear the thought of having a garment in the show and not be able to see it in action!  Having said that, a break every few years is a good thing, as the whole process is intensive, rather exhausting and never-ending.  As I say, it becomes an obsession, a passion that you cannot leave alone.

This year I am back with a vengeance, working on three different entries – inspired by my travels last year (France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Shanghai).  Mannequins are dotted about the house in various stages of adornment as I work on each design.  One is called Taziri – think Berber/Nomad; one is called Imperiana – think Baroque/Rococo; one is called Guggintime – think museums and a specific exhibit within one of them.  These garments need to be ready by mid-June – they have taken good shape already, and I’m really pleased with how they are coming along, but there is still a long way to go to completion!  Then, off they go to endure the rigorous [blind] judging and selection process.  Each garment must be original, beautifully designed and well-made.  The importance of it being robust cannot be underestimated for it must withstand many performances.  Each garment in the show has its own wardrobe minder and has its own special choreography, created to show it off to best effect.  It is a breath-catching moment when you see your own creation on the WOW stage – modelled, moving, magnificent.

I am hopeful that at least one will be selected as a finalist for this year’s show – who knows, we shall wait and see!

Meanwhile, tickets for the show are now on sale – get along if you can.  You will not be disappointed.

Show dates are Thursday 22nd September to Sunday 9th October.  I’ll be going to Awards Night on Friday 23rd September and simply cannot wait to see this year’s show, whether I’m in it or not.

If you are reading this from outside of New Zealand, Suzie has plans to take WOW global – it is indeed a show highly worthy of international presence, and I really hope her vision becomes reality soon. 

WOW deserves to go out to the world – and the rest of the world deserves to see WOW.

Here are my WOW creations that have been in the show (and Nelson WOW museum) in past years ...

Visibility Wizardress - 2014 finalist - on stage at WOW


Visibility Wizardress - 2014 - on display in Nelson WOW museum
Budding Beauty - 2013 finalist on stage at WOW (created with Sarah Jayne Kavali) - this garment was displayed in Nelson WOW museum

Green Green Grass - 2012 finalist - Highly Commended - appears in video stream at Te Papa
Mexi-Kahlo - 2012 finalist - Illumination section (shown here under black light)
Mexi-Kahlo - 2012 - shown here under white light (photos by Richard Leonard, RIKMedia)

Hayfever Gone Haywire - 2011 finalist




Hayfever Gone Haywire - 2011 - on display in Nelson WOW museum
Vivaldi's Muse - 2011 finalist - on stage at WOW

Vivaldi's Muse - 2011







No comments:

Post a Comment