Monday 21 March 2016

NIGHT SKY



The night sky is an endless, wondrous and ever-changing glory of nature, the Northern and Southern Lights being spectacular parts of the equation.

The Aurora Borealis - spiralling bands of coloured light undulating through the blackness; illuminated rays dancing across the polar sky like a magic curtain.  A trip to Lapland, to see this night-time wonder, is something I have wanted to do since I was a little girl.  One day I will get there …

Or perhaps I may get to see the Aurora Australis, the southern equivalent – it’s closer to home but rarer to catch.  Either way, I have to go far south, or very, very far north. 

Meanwhile, starry nights continue to fascinate me, even without the coloured backdrop.  It’s a special thing, being far from city lights, staring up at zillions of specks embedded within the inky blackness of the night sky.  Precious moments of sparkling silence that really do make you think about your place in this unfathomable and wondrous world.

Looking up is good!

Check my separate post about the Full Moon.  (I'm a Full Moon fanatic and researcher!)

The wonder of the Aurora Borealis (above and below)

Magical southern lights enthrall stargazers
The lime and pink fluro hues of the Aurora Australis

No comments:

Post a Comment